Sunday 9 February 2014

Easy and Fun - Cinnamon Sugar doughnuts


Doughnuts for me always been an exotic treat as in India good doughnuts can be tasted only at fine bakeries or café unlike west where they are everywhere. Always great in taste and quality. I remember how I treated myself with variety of doughnuts during my stay in Australia. My sweet tooth which loves all not so sweet things got soaked in doughnuts and tarts.


I use to wonder how these things are made and never in my dream, thought that these are deep fried items. Seriously I did not know till I saw in Masterchef Australia that doughnuts are fried.
So now you can imagine what my thoughts must be for considering them as a dish could be made at home. “It’s a store brought thing” was encrypted in my subconscious mind, till I ran into Krispy Creame doughnuts some time back. Off course they are yummilicious. Soft as clouds and super tasty.
It rang a bell inside me asked why don’t you at least try give it a try.
So with newly found motivation I turned to take up this battle.
With some doubts and lot of determination I stared making them and before I could doubt more they were there on my plate. I did not know a home cook can make doughnuts in a humble kitchen and its not a rocket science.
I am in so much love with these fluffy, fragrant and sugary babies that I want to make them again and again. It feels like dream to me.
All you need is:

2 tsp active dry yeast
1½ Tablespoons Lukewarm Water
½  Cup Lukewarm Milk
4 Tablespoons Superfine Sugar, plus extra, for dusting
50g Unsalted Butter, melted
2¼ Cups (335g) Flour
1 eggs
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Place the yeast, water, milk and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a large bowl and set aside in a warm place for 10 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.
Add the butter, flour, eggs and another 1 tablespoon sugar to the yeast mixture and use a spatula to mix until a sticky dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
 Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean, damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
 Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Make a ball of dough and roll out 1cm-thick.
 Use a 6cm-round cutter to cut around the dough to make 6 rounds. Use a 2cm-round cutter to cut holes from the centre of the rounds to make rings.
Place rings on a baking tray lined with baking paper and set aside for 30 minutes or until risen.
 Place the oil  in a large and deep pan over medium heat until temperature reaches 180°C.
Cook the doughnuts, in batches, for 1–2 minutes each side or until golden.
Drain on absorbent paper. Dust with the extra sugar and serve immediately.
Ta-da , crispy on outside and fluffy soft from inside doughnuts are ready.   
Verdict – If I can make doughnuts at home, you can make them too and with sooooo.. much less worries.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?